Ted Runner Stadium and the Frank R. Serrao Gateway are
historical and symbolic aspects of the Redlands campus that
represent two great contributors to Bulldog Athletics. The stadium
is home to the football program and houses Ashel Cunningham
Dedicated to a man who gave 35 years of unparalleled service to
the University of Redlands, Ted Runner Stadium is one of the jewels
of Southern California football stadiums and one of many fine
athletic facilities on the University of Redlands campus.
The stadium itself seats 6,750 people and is utilized by the
Bulldog football and track & field teams. In addition, Redlands
East Valley High School football team utilizes this great facility
during the fall season.
Ted Runner was an outstanding student-athlete who earned Little
All-America Second Team quarterback honors in 1947. He was also a
two-year member of the All-SCIAC football team and ran as a member
of the Bulldog track team. After earning a master’s degree in
1952 at Springfield College, Runner returned to the University of
Redlands as the head track coach and assistant football coach. He
became the head football coach in 1959 and guided the Bulldogs to a
27-22-1 record over the next five years.
Runner became the director of athletics in 1962, a position he
held until his retirement in May of 1988. The stadium was named in
his honor at a dedication ceremony on October 22, 1988. Runner was
awarded the University of Redlands Bulldog Bench Distinguished
Service Award at the 1997 Bulldog Bench Hall of Fame Induction
Dinner and was later inducted in the Hall of Fame as part of the
1947 Football Team.
This is the second football stadium at the University of Redlands.
The original stood across from Currier Gymnasium on the current
site of the Hunsaker Center until the late 1960s. It was relocated
to its new location on Brockton Avenue in 1968.
In addition to regular upgrades to the facility, Ted Runner
Stadium was emblazoned with “HOME OF THE BULLDOGS”
across the visitors’ stands during the summer of 2009.
Members of the athletic department spent a few days stenciling and
painting this proud statement prior to the start of football
The 2001 football season marked the grand opening of the long
awaited Frank R. Serrao Gateway to the stadium.
Coach Serrao patrolled the sidelines of Ted Runner Stadium for
over 20 years. During that time, his teams amassed a record of
115-80-1 and won eight SCIAC championships, including six
consecutive titles from 1973 to 1978. His 1976 team, which was
inducted into the Bulldog Bench Hall of Fame, finished the season
with a career-best 10-2 record and was runner-up in the NAIA
national championship race. He retired from the University of
Redlands in 1984 with more wins than any other football coach in
the history of the institution, a distinction he still holds